Q. Why use shoe stretchers?
Did you know that:
- shoes fit differently depending on the model, even if they're from the same brand.
- most of us have one foot larger than the other?
If you're buying shoes for dancing, you want to make sure that they fit you perfectly, left and right.
- when you choose shoes that fit you perfectly in length, they are sometimes made too narrow for your feet.
- shoes can shrink if you don't wear them for a long time.
- in the evening, when you're most likely to wear your dance shoes, they're slightly bigger than during the day due to swelling.
Other reasons why you may want to use shoe stretchers are that maybe you landed between two sizes; have bunions, corns or other foot imperfections can make your feet hurt.
Despite our best efforts to insure comfortable shoes and a good fit, we still sometimes find that our shoes are too tight. This is when shoe stretchers will come in handy.
Shoe stretchers can help alleviate several of the above problems and deliver a more comfortable shoe.
Our shoe stretchers also come with little holes built into them. Plugs inserted into the holes can stretch the shoes in problem spots, like where a corn or a bunion is, or where pinching occurs.
Q. What are the different types of shoe stretchers?
A. Shoe stretchers are usually bought as singles, and will stretch both the left and right shoe, although not at the same time.
There are different shoe stretchers that are made for flats, high heels, boots, and other specific types of footwear.
Q. High Heel Stretchers?
A. High Heel Stretchers:
- are specially designed for High Heel Shoes. The maple wood foot piece is shaped to slide easily into pumps and any other kind of tight high heel shoes.
- come complete with two Bunion Plugs that can be inserted into the foot piece, to provide you with extra pressure relief in those areas.
- can be used on a right or a left shoe alike and it is available in 3 different sizes for women.
- can stretch 1½" - 4" high heels. This product is unable to stretch high heels over 4".
Q. How to use shoe stretchers?
A. Shoe Stretchers work best with suede, leather, and other natural materials. (They don't work as well on vinyl, because the material does not have as much give.)
When you use shoe stretchers please use a shoe stretching spray. It relaxes the leather fibers and thus facilitates easy stretching without causing damage to your shoe.
Turn the knob to begin stretching the shoe. You will usually have to leave the stretcher in at least overnight, and sometimes for 24-48 hours.
The longer you leave the stretcher in, the more the shoes will stretch, so you might want to try a shorter period of time first, as shoes that are too loose don't feel good either.
Stretching your shoes is not difficult, but it may be a good idea to practice first on a pair of shoes you don't care as much about before you ruin a pair of your favorite tango shoes by overstretching them.
Alternatively, you can contact a shoe repair shop if you're uncomfortable with the idea of stretching your shoes yourself. They will be happy to stretch them for you.
If you live in Manhattan, you can also ask FELINA SHOES to stretch your shoes for you.
Q. What are the sizes?
A. Women's high heel stretchers come in 3 sizes:
- Use size small for shoe sizes 4, 5 & 6
- Use size medium for shoe sizes 7 & 8
- Use size large for shoe sizes 9, 10 & 11